Tuesday, July 14, 2009

SYTYCD... without a doubt!

Merci to Siob for allowing me access to her mighty blog!

Adissa
I am really going to miss these two performing together. Melissa is rock solid. She is amazing. Ade is also great, but I think he is often outclassed by how beautifully Melissa moves. He's so insanely powerful, but sometimes I think it gets lost in translation. I liked their disco, but after how quick Doriana had Branette do their disco this one seemed a little less exciting. I think Melissa looked incredible in her outfit though! In terms of the waltz I thought Melissa looked fantastic and that I was really glad they used a MJB song, even though the waltz would be more suited to a different kind of voice. I often wonder why Ron Montez choreographs the waltz when Jean Marc choreographs a lot of other ballroom routines. I love Jean Marc, and I love seeing France. Can they become my surrogate grandparents? Would he be offended? I wasn't terribly surprised that they were in the bottom three, but I knew that they wouldn't be going home. Melissa looked amazing in her solo. But do we think a ballerina can win the competition? It's like a swing dancer winning. I think a lot more screaming girls can relate to a pretty ballerina than a gangly swing dancer like Benji.


Kaylono
So, their first routine was the best of the season. Without a doubt. It was classic Mia. But I'm waiting for Mia to do something that just makes me want to rewatch the dance over and over and over again. Their emotions were amazing during the dance and I quite loved watching it. I do love Kayla, but I'm not crazy about Kupono. Their second dance was not good. The choreography was weak. I think it's important for the choreographer to give the dancers insight into the dance and not expect them to come up with the emotions on their own. They definitely needed to express something emotionally and didn't, but the judges were a bit too harsh. I really do not like this new Broadway choreographer. I'm sure she's an amazing dancer. But she definitely isn't working on this show. I don't miss Tyce, I think he's getting a little stale. Maybe time to move on and try someone else. Give someone new a try! I was really glad they were not in the bottom... but if they had only done the second dance they sure would have been!


Jaitlin
Do I really think Caitlin should have gone home? No. Did she deserve to go home? Yes. Should she have tried harder on the show. Without a doubt. She and Jason were both disappointing for the first 5 weeks of the show. They have way too much talent to be riding the middle of the pack. Jason, please let me notice something other than your hot body. The foxtrot was beautiful and Caitlin looked gorgeous, but it wasn't amazing. Mandy Moore's jazz routine deserved better. Caitlin looked like she was ready to go home, like she had had enough of Nigel being overly harsh on her. I was disappointed, but I really need the next few weeks to have AMAZING dancing.

Phinine
You know I hated Phillip. I'm so glad he's gone. He's amazing at what he does and should be applauded for it. But he is not a technical dancer and shouldn't become one. He should use what he does and do the best he can. Maybe I'll like Jeanine now that he's gone. She seems like a bigger girl. Does she have wider hips? Or is she just built stronger? I don't like the outfits she wears to do her solos... how there are patterns cut out and exposing her midsection. The Russian folk dance could have been killer. The choreography should have been different but I don't think they performed it like they enjoyed it. I'm sure they did it well, but there was nothing to make the routine exciting. Nigel definitely should not have badmouthed the choreographers, and it should have been edited out of the footage. The jive wasn't any better, Phillip looked AWFUl with that open shirt/awkwardly placed tie. He looked like he was a 10 year old boy who realized he's extremely gay and wants to perform a Broadway medley for his grandma. Thank god Melanie is back. She adds the sex.

Evandi
The hiphop was recycled NapTab. It wasn't good. They both looked awful. The idea of her being pregnant didn't really come across in the dancing... probably a fault of the choreography. I liked the song. It just reminded me too much of the Bleeding Love routine, which I didn't want. I actually thought they did a better job with the samba than with the hiphop. I was glad Pascha and Anya choreographed. I'd love to see them perform it! I'm glad that they were safe, but they really need to step it up next week with new partners.

Brandette
I hate him.

Results show: I don't like that they won't be showcasing other talent anymore. I don't want to watch audition footage that will be reshown during the fall season. Kelly Rowland sucked. Maybe one of the worst television performances ever. After watching the solos I would have kicked off Jeanine and Phillip. Just glad that he's gone.

Next week:
I want to see:
Jeanine and Brandon.
Jason and Melissa.
Randi and Kupono.
Evan and Jeanette.
Kayla and Ade.

1 comment:

Siobhan said...

Woot! First contribution from Matt (well, first one posted on his very one) :D