Monday, July 20, 2009

Step 1: admitting you have a problem

With a nearly one-hour commute to work (small by GTA standards but there you go) I listen to the radio on my way to work every morning. For the last week or so the discussions on the morning show I tune in to seem to all revolve around whether or not the female host qualifies as a geek. Now I would have to say I likely have a broader perspective on what it might mean to be a geek but she seems to be absolutely HORRIFIED by the idea that she could be considered geeky.

I'm not naive enough to think that being a geek has become so chic that it's cool. But how many high school comedies are there in which the "cool kids" learn to accept the idiosyncrasies of the strange, friendless germophobe (/ bird-lover / heavily perspiring) awkward kid in their class? It's clearly a popular theme, and not just because a good percentage of those making the films were likely pigeon-holed into this category but because people like to root for the underdog. So, if the hero of most high school comedies is the unappreciated smart kid, what's with this need to be anything but geeky?

Clearly I've never really understood it but since it seems to be such an issue they DO say that the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. And so:

I would really like my next vacation to be a trip to comic-con because I think it would be fun to go once and see what all the fuss is about. To that end I will share with you the following article on how to pic your perfect costume (by Robot Chicken, Family Guy and Austin Powers' Seth Green) should you be lucky enough to attend.

"A wear-it-if-you-dare guide to Comic-Con costumes" (EW.com)

No comments: