Thursday, July 2, 2009

Need to break this up...

Okay so even I'm a little sick of the SYTYCD love in that's going on right now. So I'm going to try to break it up with a little summer movie wishlist/rundown of what I've seen and loved and what I can't wait to enjoy.


(500) DAYS OF SUMMERS
I have spoken about this film before but am still SUPER excited about it as it looks adorable and quirky (if a little predictable).

THE BROTHERS BLOOM
I'm a huge fan of Rachel Weisz and have heard tales of the card trick scene from reviews I've read and friends I know (also obsessed). I can put up with Adrian Brody if it means that there is a heist and some explosions. Have also been told by friends that this is a fun and suitibly fast-ish paced movie. Light, happy...perfect for summer.

BRÜNO
I'm intrigued by this. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm excited but I have read a few reviews by critics who have seen the twenty minute preview and I have to say I'm interested to see what kinds of reactions he gets from middle-America. There are times when he's clearly pushing the envelope just for the sake of it but I'm wondering if the actual questions he raises as a result balance out the over-the-top antics. Reserving judgement until I've seen it.

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE
I'm so excited about this movie it's pathetic. I know that my excitement outweighs the movie itself but here's the thing: I can always count on the Harry Potter movies to be of a certain quality. A quality that is severely lacking in the modern cinematic landscape and which I sorely miss. The people who work on these movies are the best in the business and frankly, it shows. This one's out on the 15th of July folks. Get ready.

THE HURT LOCKER
One of the best reviewed films in recent memory this film centres on a team of bomb squad soldiers in Iraq. Led by Jeremy Renner and directed by Katheryn Bigelow, promises to be an adrenaline ride and frankly...I'm all over it. Plus Renner was on the recently cancelled The Unusuals and was one of the stronger aspects of the show.

THE PROPOSAL
You know those trailers where all the good jokes are included and when you get to the theatre you're already prepared for the best parts (thereby making them less funny than anticipated)? This is not that movie. Cleverly the trailers for this film have been edited in such a way that even the jokes that are included are edited for the "small laugh" in favour of the "big laugh" occurring in the theatre. This movie is a good time and a solid piece of rom-com acting from the queen of the rom-com and her little errand boy.

PUBLIC ENEMIES
Saw this yesterday and can't stop thinking about it. It's the kind of movie that I was interested by but not super excited about and I left the theatre genuinely exited about the craft that is making films (keep in mind that I went to film school). Johnny Depp is so charismatic in this role that it makes me want to read up on and see old film clips of John Dillinger. Marion Cottillard is charming and the rest of the cast is filled out by supreme talents. Every time you turn around there is a walk-on part being played by someone you've seen carry films of their own. The movie is that good. They have A-listers making themselves available for two or three lines of dialogue.

Fantastic.

SURROGATES
It comes out on September 25th and doesn't really qualify for the summer movie catalogue but that's okay, because the trailer doesn't make me want to see this movie. What it does very effectively is a) remind me that Bruce Willis is old and b) inform me that there is a interesting Graphic Novel out there for me to read. And so I shall....

More on that later.

No comments: