Saturday, August 8, 2009

What I did this summer: moviewatcher edition

Seeing as the summer is winding down I thought I would do a quick re-cap of my summer movie watching. This summer has been full of disappointments but I have had a few pleasant surprises that I'd like to share...here we go.

HOW I DID WITH MY SUMMER LIST OF FILMS:

(500) DAYS OF SUMMER - I was really excited to see this movie and was sure it would be a quirky art-house film and while it does have aspects of the genre it surprised me in a wonderful way. Definitely worth re-visiting and I would recommend it if you aren't sure what you'd like to see.

THE BROTHERS BLOOM - Haven't had a chance yet but it's still on the list.

BRÜNO - Saw it. HATED it. There's really nothing more to say.

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE - I was sure I was going to do this to myself (i.e. anticipate so much that the film couldn't live up to my expectations) but I did really enjoy the film. My only concern is-- and for those who've both read and watched this intsallment you'll know what I mean-- that they haven't emphasized the right things in order to properly set up the next two movies. Basically there's too much love and not enough danger.

THE HURT LOCKER - Still haven't seen it. Still really itching to watch.

THE PROPOSAL - Saw it, liked it. It's exactly what you want from a Romcom.

PUBLIC ENEMIES - I really liked this and enjoyed Johnny Depp's performance.

SURROGATES - Still don't want to see this film but I'm reading the graphic novel. At times it's a little formulaic (i.e. it's trying too hard to be the Watchmen) but it brings up some interesting points. When a book can make me angry it gets my seal of approval.

EVERYONE'S BEEN TELLING ME TO WATCH THESE, SO I DID:

SECRETS AND LIES (Not the greatest trailer but the best I could find)
HAPPY-GO-LUCKY (This was a quiet one at the Oscars this year and I think, well deserved)
MANHATTAN (Saw this at the Bloor Street Cinemas earlier in the summer. Fantastic)

AWARD WINNER FOR "UPCOMING MOVIE WITH MOST CELEBRITIES IN ONE FILM":

NEW YORK, I LOVE YOU I'm not even going to bother listing all the names...because the trailer (in that way that trailers do) manages to read like a CV for the film. In the battle between this and Valentine's day, which I posted about earlier this summer...I think New York wins. Not really surprising if you think about it, but interestingly both films feature Bradley Cooper. Looks like he's having his "it" moment. Get ready to be sick of him by the end of the year ;)

No comments: