Monday, May 18, 2009

Now and then...

...I like to watch an old movie, notice the acting style of the time and enjoy the simplicity of a love story with a small number of complications.

Today I watched one of the old 1930's Nancy Drew movies with a friend and it reminded me of all those wonderful (and sometimes awful) movies they made us watch in school; claiming that they were the hallmarks of cinematic genius. So I thought I would suggest a few that-- if you haven't already enjoyed them-- are actually worth your time.

ADAM'S RIB (1949)
Katherine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy playing a married couple on either side of a murder trial. The chemistry between these two accomplished actors is enough, but the trial itself is able to keep a modern audience interested. To be fair the trial IS a little simplistic by modern standards, but does holds up due to superb acting (chiefly by Hepburn).

SINGING IN THE RAIN (1952)
Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Douglas O'Connor star in this romp through the old Hollywood studio system. Set at the time when silent films are moving towards "talkies" and with Gene Kelly taking a turn as silent film star Don Lockwood, this film shows all three at their very best as they sing and dance their way through a touching love story. One of the greats, this film will have you missing the good ol' days when actors really were triple threats and didn't just claim to be (yes I'm talking to you ScarJo, because I know you read this blog).

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S (1961)
This was in a category with Casablanca for me in that I decided a long time ago that the films would not live up to the hype. I am happy to say I was wrong about this one. Audrey Hepburn's Holly Golightly is at once charming and unnerving but manages to overwhelm the audience (and incidentally her love interest George Peppard) with her unbridled passion for life. A light romp through the sometimes odd streets of New York in the early 60's, this film is everything you want it to be.

There are three to start off. Post other recommendations if you think of them and I will update as others occur to me. Have fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"a friend" I think you mean THE Friend, my friend