Thursday, May 7, 2009

I need you to read this article...

...because the number of contradicting metaphors and competing adjective in her article makes me absolutely crazy. CRAZY. I'm going to put aside the obvious error in the title, though it does a good job of warning potential readers that they ought not to expect too much of the author (which is really not what a writer is after).

The article is full of wonderful little anger-inducing tidbits which managed to simultaneously entertain and annoy. "Hell," writes Constance Draganes in the piece in question, "I don't even know how many babes Captain Kirk has bedded since he first cast his ship's big, dilithium-powered anchors ashore on planets throughout the galaxy." Really? REALLY?! How exactly-- pretell-- does one first cast anchors ashore on many planets? Correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure that you can only do something for the first time once. Later still she claims that, "these flyboys whip across the screen like a bunch of over-excited pit bulls." Hmmm, I didn't know that pitbulls could fly; that must be why they've outlawed them in Ontario.

"Guzzling popcorn" and "fumbling definitively" Constance also manages to come up with so many ideas in one article that each sentence brings up a new idea. In fact, I do believe that the one rule she did follow is that each thought needs its own paragraph:

People who write articles without proofreading them make me angry.

I have a few friends who claim to be grammar Nazis; I hope they don't read this blog.

I will have to tell my friends about this article as they will likely also be annoyed by it.

Are you annoyed yet?

Okay I'll stop ranting but if you would please just read it
"Best Trek Ever: Sky's the limit for new 'Star Trek'."

No comments: