Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Betty for Humpday!

I've been saying this for years but Ugly Betty is a highly underrated show. Are there more finely crafter shows on television? Maybe, but the key with Ugly Betty has always been the heart, something that many other programs either over or undersell consistently. The show's audience understands that on occasion dramatic instances need to be humorous and are comfortable with the silly tactics sometimes employed by the writers to undercut any seriousness inherent in dramatic plots. Recently I haven't been overjoyed with the series (read: last week's episode is still in my queue) but I'm still not ready to jump off the band waggon just yet...even if ABC has recently made some decisions which could easily have doomed the series for good.

That said, E Online has stated that "According to sources, ABC higher-ups are considering moving Ugly Betty to Wednesdays at 10 in January as part of a flashy relaunch of the show in an effort to save it. The thinking is that Betty would complement new hits Modern Family and Cougar Town nicely, and make ABC a solid destination for comedy on Wednesday night" (Ugly Betty May Steal Eastwick Slot From Lost, E! Online). This is welcome news to me as I'm hoping it will give the Ugly Betty writers the kick in the pants they need to bring the series back to where it found its niche.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Apparently ABC has said it isn't moving Betty to Wednesdays (and I'm a little sad Eastwick was canceled), and that Lost is going to fill that time slot.

Also, did you hear Miss J is going to be leaving the judging panel on ANTM? He's being replaced by Andre Leon Talley (maybe the one person who's more of a caricature than Miss J!). Kimora is also returning, so I've read.

Siobhan said...

Unfortunately there is nothing they can do to make me start watching ANTM again. I do agree with you about Eastwick, there's something intriguing about the show that I can't quite put my finger on (though it may be Paul Gross, let's be honest). Too bad, it could have done some interesting things with the supernatural...