Sunday, October 18, 2009

Seriously Good...

Prior to hitting up the Cumberland last night I wasn't sold on the idea of going to see A Serious Man (the Coen Brothers new cinematic offering). The previews made it look as though it was going to be another film that you sit through in silence (with the odd uncomfortable chuckle) and end up appreciating later when you've had a chance to mull it over. Needless to say, after the whole Visage debacle at TIFF I was a little apprehensive about another "artsy" film-going experience so soon. But I have a friend to whom I promised last night's movie choice and thusly I found myself squished into a packed theatre in Yorkville, apprehensive but prepared for my movie-going experience.

I should have known better. After Fargo and No Country for Old Men there should have been no doubt in my mind that they could pull it off. And they did. The Coen brother's style and control effortless crafts the suburban nightmare of Larry Gopnik, middle-aged physics proffessor, into a thing of wonder and hilarity. Though it could easily have become predictable and sad as they piled misfortune after misfortune onto one man's shoulders, the Coens manage to avoid the obvious laugh and go for the slightly less commercial one, simultaneously cutting the tension and allowing us to sidestep the growing feeling of sympathy one begins to experience on Larry's behalf.

Now there is one thing about this movie that I didn't like, and it's really more of a criticism of myself than anything else. I don't speak Yiddish. I think if I did there were a lot more jokes (which our compatriots in the theatre were laughing at) that I could have enjoyed had I known more Yiddish than "Naches" (Joy) and "Goy" (non-jew). That said, if you have some time, check this movie out.

It's seriously worth it.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I found Larry to be quite an attractive man. If only he took off those glasses and got rid of that squint!