Friday, September 18, 2009

Inglorious Review (or how I learned milk could be thrilling)

It's been a few weeks and I'm actually quite behind on my reviews so I'm going to do some quick and dirty reviewing. Went to see this with a friend and based on his reaction it occurs to me that there may be an aspect of the movie's premise and ultimate aim that I miss by being me (i.e. a British mutt and not Jewish). More on that later...

The film itself is reasonably entertaining if a little full of itself, but I certainly didn't find myself checking my watch. Rife with Tarantino's effusive dialogue, the film plays out in typical revenge fantasy fashion. those who have been identified as in the wrong and monstrous in their own right are punished and the victims get their moment to exact revenge upon their oppressors. One would expect, then, to be completely satisfied by the outcome of each small victory rather than horrified by the violence being visited upon the violent.

I know, the paragraph is a little convoluted. Let's try this again.

I enjoy Tarantino movies, his films have been some of my favourites and I really do love his style of dialogue and the way he tweaks the violence to catastrophic levels. That said, I think in this case I was too busy being horrified by the carnage that was taking place on screen to have even the slightest regard for what could potentially have been a deliciously satisfying look at what "repaying the nazis" would have looked like. I did mention my friend (who happens to be Jewish) and he loved the film while I had my reservations. Part of me that is keenly aware that while both my grandfathers fought to defend their respective countries from the tyranny of Germany's leadership, they were not in any of the categories that were being directly affected by the atrocities. And it's hard not to wonder if that changes my perspective on the film and revenge in general. But perhaps a longer discussion for another night with friends...

Bottom line: not my favourite Tarantino film but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Included one of the more tense scenes I've seen in a wide-release film in quite some time and of course the effortlessly charming Mélanie Laurent. Definitely worth your time but beware if you're squeamish.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Mélanie Laurent was fantastic in this movie and she was the reason I was so eager to see it again. But it definitely wasn't as violent as Kill Bill or even Pulp Fiction, and not as vulgar as Jackie Brown.